There is no way to know if you are HIV-positive until you are tested. Empower your health and your well-being.
What is HIV?
HIV stands for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The virus attacks the immune system and can lead to serious health complications. But, if it is detected early, HIV can be managed and treated by a medical professional.
Why Get an HIV Test?
So, why should you get an HIV test? There are many reasons why an HIV test should be part of your health routine:
- HIV testing is part of overall sexual health. The CDC recommends regular testing between the ages of 13 and 64.
- HIV increases your risk of contracting other STDs, including gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- By knowing your status, you can take the necessary steps to prevent future infection of yourself or others.
- You can take the best care of your health, starting antiretroviral treatment immediately if it is necessary.
- HIV testing takes less than 30 minutes and is free at UNM Truman Health Services.
Individuals with HIV risk factors should get tested for HIV more frequently. This includes men who have sex with men (MSM), intravenous drug users, sex workers, and anyone who engages in frequent, unprotected sex with multiple partners.